Thursday, August 15, 2024

Sisters, sisters

 

A treasured friend shared with me that growing up- she and her sisters (she was one of 4 girls in a family of 6 kids) would always break out into song when the Irving Berlin song called Sisters would come on.   She smiled as she shared it was "like our theme song".

I'd never given that memory much thought-until I crafted the story about brothers- and my sister  Laura chimed in "But what about sisters?"   I reassured her- that yes, a story was in the works that would feature the sister connection.  

But now- with time and plenty of photos- I'm drawing a blank. 

How does one capture a nearly 60 year relationship with just a few shared thoughts.    

Do I just push it to the side and come back to it at a later date?  

I mean I did just share that organization is one of my super hero skills..
I either need to pack it up and move on...
or better yet...dive in and tell the story...
make that tell my version of the story
In looking for inspiration for this post- I decided to take a closer look at the lyrics from that classic song Sisters- and connect it to the relationship I cherish with my sister Laura.

No sooner did I start to poke around- did I discover a road block-
As the song lyrics goes on about 
"Lord Help the Mister that comes between me and my sister" 
Because seriously- there was never a sibling rivalry when it came to men..
But something did try to come between us...
In the words of self-improvement gurus-it's time to do a little unpacking...

In 1988- when Audrey passed away- 
we "lost the glue" that kept our family together.   
Now granted, it wasn't the epic break-up that movies are made of- 
but it was a split- that would ebb and flow through the years...
As our small family of 3 went our own separate ways for our own personal reasons..
We'd come together for the big things in life..
and acknowledge that we were separated 
by distance and  distinctly different personalities..
we would show the world--
that we could indeed be the life of the party
when called into action...
But grief would be the Mr. that hit us hard...
And then- very much like a Hollywood movie- along comes a chance for a second act....
a chance to tell grief that this time- he would not be victorious!
In 2018- Richard's health would start the steady decline that occurs 
when the heart starts to fail and cancer takes off on its' own adventure
And while I don't recall any direct conversation...
Laura and I knew that to get through this process with our relationship intact...
We'd need to take a team approach..
At times- she'd wash and I'd dry...
I'd push and she'd pedal on...
showing the world...
that this time...grief would not pull us further apart!
so yes - in the end...
we are indeed following the lyrics of this classic song...
Through All kinds of weather
we stick together..
the same in the rain or sun
two different faces
But in tight places
we think and we act as one

Until next time...
Don't forget to call your sister..
And remind her that...
She too has jazz hands...
and is very much loved and cherished!






No comments:

Post a Comment