Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Retiree Reflections

 I've decided that my super power is organization.   When I last checked in, I was going to tidy up the work area a bit and take a break.   Problem is- I tidy up so nicely-tucking away story ideas so neatly that it is a struggle to get back in the groove.   But, after a lovely chat with my sister- catching up as we both admitted to procrastinating on other chores- I decided let's get back on this wagon.

And while I'm not quite finished "Connecting with the Past"- I feel a stronger pull to take some of the scattered "chapter ideas" and move them into the "completed chapters" list.   

Most of what's left in the idea folder-(excluding the connecting with the past collection)- relate to Richard's time as a retiree.  

When I first started sifting and sorting images- my intention was to complete a series of entries that highlight all that Richard did during his 26 years as an active retiree.   

Yet the more I think about it- the more I realize- it's not so important we remember the details of Richard's retirement.   But instead, let's look at it through a wider lens.  Not only is it faster for me- but also- I think that's where the real story rests.   What lessons should Laura and I as new(ish) retirees take from his playbook?   . 

I ran across this quote and I thought- 
it pairs perfectly with how Richard approached his retirement years.   

What did Richard fill that blank sheet of paper with...
He would master new skills
while perfecting life long pleasures..
ever the nap master
He would make new friends...
some he found  close to home
and others he met abroad..
for he knew- 
that with a strong circle of friends..
any hour could be a happy one!
He would reconnect with his childhood friend...
and took delight in showing 
his friends from "back then" just how much fun travel could be...
He'd hang out with his brother...
from the lake
to the campground..
his brotherly love reminded us 
 that the bond between siblings is truly one of a kind!  
He'd explore the world...
from Canada 
to Norway...and countless places in between..
And while he was often guarded on giving detailed trip reports- 
I think his silence was his way of letting us know-
forget everyone else's journey- go on your path!
There would be fish to catch...
Tractors to be restored..
Tours to lead..
And a  garden to tend..
And even when  his health started to decline..
he still made sure to 
to let us both know...
in his own special way...
Don't let the parade pass you by..
for we only get one life...
and sometimes the retirement we dreamt of is not 
the one we were granted...
So while it is important to "remember the stories"
and savor the past...
It is equally important that we get out there..
and savor our retirement..
and celebrate this one life we have been given!

No comments:

Post a Comment