Saturday, September 16, 2023

Road Trips: California Adventures 1971

 I'm almost to a good stopping point on the sorting and scanning of photos- at least "for now".   But I feel I have one more story left before putting the AZ era to rest.  

Back in 2012-2013, when I first started this project.  I would scan a few photos and send them to Richard in hopes of getting a good story from the photo.   This  first photo was one such photo.    Richard did indeed share very entertaining story-noting it was taken in Las Vegas..but in hindsight- I don't think the story matched the photo.   For on the back of this classic it reads "this is the car that will or could be yours to use when you fly to see us this winter". Another duplicate notes that "this is our new car.  The stuffed animals Laura and Martha are holding are their souvenirs from the zoo".   So- one photo I think was sent to Grandma Irene in hopes of getting her to come see us in AZ and the other was probably sent to Grandma Hazel- 

Anyways- it is highly unlikely that this was from a trip to Vegas as Richard suggested...instead I think it was related to California road trip we took in the early part of 1971. 

Hello- this is indeed a California road-trip...
  January 1971- when the park was 16 years young (having first opened in 1955).   The captions are sparse but note that this is the entrance to Fantasy Land.  Well, d'uh...  Notice how uncrowded it is?  Ah..if only that were the case today!  
Another iconic sight at Disneyland.   
And when in California- you simply must go see the ocean...
a tradition I would carry forth with my own Things when we visited CA in 2002.
Another iconic image from Knott's Berry Farm...
and of course- the family mischief maker is getting tips from an expert...
And then there is this one-clearly we are at the four corners with that same stylish car. and Laura's vibrant golden sweater.  But in what universe would Four Corners have been part of a CA road trip starting in Tucson?   Instead- I suspect it was snapped on the way to WI around that same time...because hello, that would have been one heck of a detour to include this landmark on the same trip.  I wanted to include it- as this is a rather classic for kids whose parents have said- look, you can be in four states at once!  

Anyways- as I sift through these handful of photos- I find myself reflecting that it really only takes one or two good photos to remind you- that your childhood was indeed pretty magical!

Again- Thanks Mom and Dad!  

 


















No comments:

Post a Comment