Saturday, September 16, 2023

The Granum Girls- The AZ era.

As I sift through photos, one constant is a plethora of photos of my sister and I smiling for the camera.  Oh who am I kidding- I am either hamming it up or scowling...but standing proud next to my sister- sporting some curious fashion choices and consistently no-fuss hairstyles.

I thought I would start a series where I feature photos of the Granum Girls

This post will feature photos of us from our time in AZ.    And in many of these photos, Audrey has taken a pen to the back of the photo and captioned them....helping decode when and why the photo may have been taken.  

Let's start with this classic- on the back Richard has written Laura and Martha in front of Apache Hall ?1969..but the date printed on the margin is 1970.  Oh well...close enough, right?   We sure were happy dorm rats!
This one has some handwriting by Audrey...smudged but reads "Off to school we must go, this was the 2nd day of school".   I'm guessing it was in the Fall of 1969- as Martha doesn't have a lunch box or other school paraphernalia suggesting she was going to school all day.
This one reads "the sad face is put on.  Really she is happy.  Just doesn't like to have her picture taken lately".   Editor's note- which one is sad?  Probably Laura.   But to that I say "Hey, Kettle, meet Pot" because Audrey would go on to become very camera shy through the years...
On the back of this one- Audrey has written "How would you like to meet these two in a dark alley?  Those pumpkins were almost full when they finished".  Hello- we were two cute kids living in a college dorm where our parents were the dorm parents.  Of course, we would score big time when it was time to trick-or-treat!
A Holiday Classic- in front of the tree- where Audrey has written "Merry Christmas 1969- taken before their church program".   Sing it loud, sisters!  Sing it loud!
Christmas Morning- 1969- where Audrey has written "Martha is holding her little Kachina doll.  The large one hadn't been opened yet.  The doll in the purple dress is a Navajo doll.   Also- see the gold fish?.  The tree in the background is a Manzanita branch.  It has a reddish bark and is very pretty".

I'm wondering who Audrey was writing this for- herself or was it one of the photos she would go on to send to her mom, Grandma Irene.   I inherited those photos many years ago- so it's possible this photo was originally in the stash from Grandma Irene.
This one reads "My 2 little helpers- they get them done- not always the cleanest but we don't worry".
And back to school it is-nothing written on the back of this one
And last but not least- is this family classic where Audrey so perfectly notes
"I must say Martha is the biggest "ham" around...November 1971..

No worries, Mom...some things never change! 
 Hamming it up since 1965!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment