Saturday, September 16, 2023

Putting the grand in grandparents

I'm about a week late- but apparently, the 2nd Sunday after Labor Day is known as Grandparents Day.  Signed into Presidential Proclamation by President Jimmy Carter in the 1970s, the origins of this holiday are a little unclear outside of a day set aside to honor one's grandparents.     While our grandparents have long since passed, I figure this occasion would be a good opportunity  to dust off the keyboard and chip away at the stack of inherited photos with some grandparent reflections.   

My sister and I were fortunate enough to have grown up with 3 living grandparents.   Our grandmothers would live long vibrant lives- and I know Laura and I both have a treasure chest of memories- some of which I have reflected upon in past blog entries.

But, what about the pairing of Grandma and Grandpa?     Grandpa Norman would pass away in 1978 after a brief battle with stomach cancer.  

In looking through the photos I've inherited, I can see that our grandparents were frequent visitors in our home, whether it was Arizona in the late 1960s/early 1970s or Georgia in the 1970s.   Now, was this based on a desire to be physically present in our lives, or was it a desire to escape the Wisconsin winters...who knows..but without a doubt, there is a plethora of photos of Laura and I enjoying these visits with our grandparents. 

It's a perfect photo- right down to the look of annoyance on my face...
And again- here I am not looking at the camera- 
maybe the sun was in my eyes?  Sure, let's just go with that.
Hazel and Norman would fly in...

Help out with a few chores around the yard...
Take a siesta or two..
join us for a picnic in the desert
and sometimes joined by their Californian siblings (Uncle Vernon and his wife Lillian)
We'd put on our fancy cowgirl duds...and check out the rodeo

And we'd attempt our own "Norman Rockwell" style family portrait...
featuring of course Norman Granum 
and me sporting what appears to be a signature pout yet again..

We'd pause and smell the flowers at the botanical garden...

or bask  in the desert sunshine..
The tradition of grandparent visits would continue on into the next generation...
With grandpa showing up in his flashy red convertible.
helping ensure the flower boxes were planted just right..
and take a siesta or two..
Sometimes visiting for a holiday..
and other visits were just a quick visit with a story or two shared
supporting lego creations from Colorado
to Michigan...
It sure was nice that he took the time to come and see the grands on their home turf!  
Thanks Grandpa- we miss you!  





























No comments:

Post a Comment