Monday, July 9, 2012

Snow sculptures and road runners

A hodge-podge of photos and recollections from our days in Tuscon.

Richard writes:  Yes, it is snow on the Mall at the University of Arizona.  I do not recall the season but the local ice company made a truck load of snow (shaved ice) and student activities (with leadership from the student union) had a snow ball throwing event and sculpted their version of a snow man.  

Audrey noted on the back of the photo:  Yes, Grandma it does snow in Tuscon.  this was taken on September 20, 1969.

Richard continues to write:  And yes, your father is quite a fashion figure also with short pants, short sleeved shirt and black socks and oxford shoes.  White socks and tennis shoes had not made it into my wardrobe at this stage of my life.  I also had blue and white saddle shoes with platform heals and red, white and blue seersucker slacks!



Richard writes:  Yes, this is me.  I didn't have much hair then either, and I was a lot younger, 38 years old, and my weight was probably around 165.  The road runner on the white paint brick wall and fire place screen suggest this was taken in the house on First Avenue, near Tuscon Blvd.  I do not recognize any other artifacts on the table or mantle.

The Road runner is an original oil painted by Zivic and is currently on the wall in my living room (in Holmen, WI).  I think we paid about $25 for it then, which would be $350 now.  Purchase was made in his gallery in Trail Dust Town in Tuscon.  

Laura added:  this photo is so interesting in noting that aside from a little extra weight, Dad really hasn't changed much in 40 years.  

Martha notes:  the road runner painting  has always held a place of honor in any of the homes we lived in. I never knew who had painted it, so thank you Dad for sharing a bit of the history.  But you know me and my love of Google, I had to go digging for a little more information about the artist.

William T. Zivic (1930-) was born in Ironwood Michigan   He spent his early years working in the  iron mines of his native state and later started to travel the world.  In 1960, he brought his family west and was inspired by the beauty and history of this area, began to capture it through his work in both canvas and bronze sculptures.  He is a self taught artist who had his own studio in the Tuscon area for over 45 years.  He and his wife have since retired to the Casa Grande community of Arizona and his work is still available for purchase through their online gallery and at a consignment store in Casa Grande.  It is unclear how much his work would fetch at auction, but current art pieces range in the $75-100 range.


No comments:

Post a Comment