Monday, July 11, 2022

Grandma's Apron

During a recent visit to see Richard-  I stumbled across a near empty journal that had once belonged to Grandma Hazel.   What little was in there- were an assortment of cut-and-pasted poems, quotes and things she probably wanted to remember.   

In addition to these items, were two stories- written long hand in my grandmother's trademark cursive. One was an old Erma Bombeck essay (Children are like Kites) but the other one?   I really couldn't find the original source-which makes me think- was this her original story?  Maybe...  

While I myself continue to reduce the amount of memories stored in paper format, I thought I would type them out and add them here.   Yes- you lose the visual of her handwriting- but the sentiment of the story still rings strong.

Grandma's Apron

Seldom did I see Grandmother or Mother without an apron covering their housedresses.  Today, like the horse and buggy, an apron is rarely seen.

Its uses were limitless.  It made a basket for gathering eggs, it held newly hatched chicks, which later scratched in the flower garden and were chased away with a flopping apron; it carried chips, kindling and corn cobs to start the fire in the cook stove. 

Vegetables and fruit found their way from the garden to the kitchen via grandma's carry-all.  It was handy for removing hot pans of food from the stove.   She waved it aloft to signal the men to dinner.   At threshing time as she passed food to the hungry men,  she flipped her apron at the pesky flies. 

When grandchildren came to visit, it dried children's tears, and steadied tottering footsteps. 

 It was used countless times to wipe her perspiring brow as grandma bent over a hot stove or hoed in the garden under a blistering sun.   In chilly weather she wrapped it around her arms as she bade a guest a lingering farewell at the door.  It hurriedly dusted the table and chairs if company was sighted coming down the lane.  In the evening, she shed her apron and draped it over the bird cage.
Can today's slacks or pantsuits compete witwheth grandma's apron inall around usefulness?

Whether these were Hazel's original words- or not- doesn't really matter.  Ok, maybe if I was going to publish this and claim they were her original idea-I'd do some more research.

What did happen- after finding this story- some 35-40 years since she likely first wrote it down- took me back to the many visits we made to see her at her house Holmen.   I close my eyes, and picture her with that apron on...and the memories become more vivid- and I feel a little bit closer to those times...and for that I am sure was her original intent!  

No comments:

Post a Comment