Thursday, July 31, 2014

Grandma's Wisdom

It is always interesting to sort through a bin and discover what things have "made the cut" through previous attempts at reducing clutter.   One note caught my eye.   I clearly remember getting it, during those middle school years filled with angst and self doubt.   What a timely discovery!   As I am now the parent of a 14 year old, a young man who has spent a fair amount of time this summer trying to figure out what he stands for and what constitutes a good friend.  
My sister, my cousin and my grandma circa 1969

There is no date on the letter, only the handwritten Sunday.   Yes, I suspect my mother Audrey had made her weekly phone call to her mom and shared with her some update about myself.

Here is what Grandma Irene writes:

Dear Martha,
How is it going with you?   Do you have your Levis already?   Your mom told me the kids were picking on you because you didn't have some.  

Now Martha, I don't know everything.   Not even very much, but I have lived a long time and this I know:   That when anyone "picks" on another, it is simply because that person is jealous of something the other is or has that she doesn't have or isn't.   You can bet that you are or have something at least one of the kids would very much like to have or be.

And you know what else?   I just head a pastor say on the radio that the greatest gift anyone can have is a loving heart and that you have.   You are greatly blessed.   Never forget that.

I have my cast off now and although my wirst and hand are quite swollen yet, I can knit again.   So if you have found a scarf patter you like, send it to me or let me know where I can find it.   I may go to New London this week and I will look for one there if it isn't too cold.

Love
Grandma
Grandma and some of us Grands...August 1981, her 75th birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment